This week the Diva has challenged us to use Munchin and confessed her dislike of black tiles. She offered up using white on black as an optional portion. I happen to love black tiles, so that aspect of the challenge was a no brainer for me. I have been playing with shiny things lately, so I went gold with Munchin with some white accents.
Munchin, Tipple, Flux
I recently order the new Tints on Tan kit from Jenny Peruzzi and Marty Deckel. They do a fantastic job putting these together, and provide very clear instructions so it feels like you are taking a class with them.
Tints on Tan – Autumn Splendor
Autumn Splendor detail
I enjoyed the tinting techniques so much, that I tried my hand at a tinted black tile, with a psuedo snowflake theme.
Snowflake Zendala with Printemps, Hypnotize, Paradox, and Finery
In addition to the white pen, I had to go back back in with the Starlight gel pen to give it a little extra winter sparkle. (I know it is not winter yet, but I sooo love when the snow starts falling.)
Don’t forget to check out the other tiles submitted for the Diva’s challenge.
Let me know what you think in the comments.
Maddie is our scruffy, old lady cat. At this point, we are not sure how much longer she will be with us. We help her onto the bed, give her treats whenever she wants them, and laugh as she still holds her own against our other cat, Emmet.
Sweet Little Maddie
The scruffy tail of inspiration
One morning she was waking me up, and the sun silhouetted her tail as it flicked back and forth. That is where this pattern was born. It is an easy pattern to draw (all straight lines) and has a couple variations. Here are the step outs and a few sample tiles:
I’d love to see what you do with it! Let me know in the comments if you give it a try.
Fall is my favorite season of the year. I know Spring is considered the season of rebirth and fresh starts, but for me, this really happens in the fall. I think it all goes back to the start of the new school year and the excitement that comes with that. Temperatures have also taken a dip this week, so it feels like fall. And there is candy corn at the grocery store! (Unfortunately, there is also pumpkin spice everything. No offense to those who are fans, but I am not. No pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving either, thank you very much.)
This week I actually managed to get the Its A String Thing challenge completed by the deadline. Adele challenged us to use Hamail as part of our tile and continue with one of our favorite patterns. I had to go with Narwal as I am enamored with it these days.
Hamail and Narwal for IATS#111
I was also able to wrap up a set of ATCs (Artist Trading Cards) for a mail-in swap and got those sent off in the mail. The theme for this swap was ABC, so we had to create cards with mono-tangles of patterns that started with either A, B, or C – 3 cards of each.
Artist Trading Cards ready for the swap.
This was a lot of fun – can’t wait to see what I get back in the mail. I’ll definitely share them here once they arrive.
I’ve been doing some experimenting with creating colored backgrounds for some of my artwork. I am not sure exactly how I am going to use these yet, but am having a blast just playing with color and seeing what happens.
These first pages were done with Dylusion ink sprays. My daughter and I took the sprays and a bunch of paper into the backyard (so we could be really messy) and started spraying. We used the ink as well as plain water to really get the colors running together.
Because we were just playing we got a little carried away and ended up with some really wet pages. I decided to experiment a little more and make a print from the sheet on another piece of tinted water color paper. These came out pretty cool too, and I can’t wait to start some drawings on them.
Originals on the bottom, pulled prints on the top.
Fully blended background
Print from the above original that is calling out for a landscape drawing.
We have also been starting to work with Gelli plate printing. These used a very lightweight drawing paper that tended to buckle as we were printing. I now know not to use this paper with any kind of liquid medium, but it did give us some interesting results.
Trial 1 – let my daughter take the lead on this one
Trial 2 – needs more contrast
Trial 3 – Love this one! Diamond pattern is from the bottom of a styrofoam tray. Re-use is the best!
Trial 4 – paper buckled on the red pull, but love the giraffe/ Eiffel tower that resulted.
Trial 5 – daughter jumping back in with the bubble wrap.
Trial 6 – One last pull to clean the plate. Should have spritzed with water first to get a little more off.
What creative things have you been experimenting with lately?
I used the zendala template from this week’s Bright Owl Zendala Challenge to work on a larger piece, so it isn’t done yet. But seeing as today is the day Erin normally posts the new challenge, I figured I would post what is done, and will provide an update later when it is complete.
I have been playing around with Tri-roda (from Eni Oken) and Narwal (from Samantha Taylor) a lot lately, and thought they worked well together to form these trumpet like shapes. Filled in the rest with Fleavy (from Hanny Waldburger). I still have some rounding to do in ink and then the decision of keeping it black and white or adding color. I am leaning toward color, but let me know what you think.
Tri-roda, Narwal, Fleavy
In the Square One Facebook groups this week’s focus is on Meringue. I had a lot of fun with this (those curves are my fav!) and threw in some Buttercup as well.
Merinque and Buttercup
Last night was the first night of the 6 week course I am teaching as part of our local night school program. I have a wonderful mix of students and we all had a great time. After our first tile, we only had about 15 minutes left, so we did a quick Bijou tile to get one more pattern in. Can’t wait for next week!
Tile 1: Crescent Moon, Hollibaugh, Printemps, Florz
Tile 2 (Bijou) – Flux