Fall is my favorite season of the year. I know Spring is considered the season of rebirth and fresh starts, but for me, this really happens in the fall. I think it all goes back to the start of the new school year and the excitement that comes with that. Temperatures have also taken a dip this week, so it feels like fall. And there is candy corn at the grocery store! (Unfortunately, there is also pumpkin spice everything. No offense to those who are fans, but I am not. No pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving either, thank you very much.)
This week I actually managed to get the Its A String Thing challenge completed by the deadline. Adele challenged us to use Hamail as part of our tile and continue with one of our favorite patterns. I had to go with Narwal as I am enamored with it these days.
Hamail and Narwal for IATS#111
I was also able to wrap up a set of ATCs (Artist Trading Cards) for a mail-in swap and got those sent off in the mail. The theme for this swap was ABC, so we had to create cards with mono-tangles of patterns that started with either A, B, or C – 3 cards of each.
Artist Trading Cards ready for the swap.
This was a lot of fun – can’t wait to see what I get back in the mail. I’ll definitely share them here once they arrive.
I’ve been doing some experimenting with creating colored backgrounds for some of my artwork. I am not sure exactly how I am going to use these yet, but am having a blast just playing with color and seeing what happens.
These first pages were done with Dylusion ink sprays. My daughter and I took the sprays and a bunch of paper into the backyard (so we could be really messy) and started spraying. We used the ink as well as plain water to really get the colors running together.
Because we were just playing we got a little carried away and ended up with some really wet pages. I decided to experiment a little more and make a print from the sheet on another piece of tinted water color paper. These came out pretty cool too, and I can’t wait to start some drawings on them.
Originals on the bottom, pulled prints on the top.
Fully blended background
Print from the above original that is calling out for a landscape drawing.
We have also been starting to work with Gelli plate printing. These used a very lightweight drawing paper that tended to buckle as we were printing. I now know not to use this paper with any kind of liquid medium, but it did give us some interesting results.
Trial 1 – let my daughter take the lead on this one
Trial 2 – needs more contrast
Trial 3 – Love this one! Diamond pattern is from the bottom of a styrofoam tray. Re-use is the best!
Trial 4 – paper buckled on the red pull, but love the giraffe/ Eiffel tower that resulted.
Trial 5 – daughter jumping back in with the bubble wrap.
Trial 6 – One last pull to clean the plate. Should have spritzed with water first to get a little more off.
What creative things have you been experimenting with lately?
I used the zendala template from this week’s Bright Owl Zendala Challenge to work on a larger piece, so it isn’t done yet. But seeing as today is the day Erin normally posts the new challenge, I figured I would post what is done, and will provide an update later when it is complete.
I have been playing around with Tri-roda (from Eni Oken) and Narwal (from Samantha Taylor) a lot lately, and thought they worked well together to form these trumpet like shapes. Filled in the rest with Fleavy (from Hanny Waldburger). I still have some rounding to do in ink and then the decision of keeping it black and white or adding color. I am leaning toward color, but let me know what you think.
Tri-roda, Narwal, Fleavy
In the Square One Facebook groups this week’s focus is on Meringue. I had a lot of fun with this (those curves are my fav!) and threw in some Buttercup as well.
Merinque and Buttercup
Last night was the first night of the 6 week course I am teaching as part of our local night school program. I have a wonderful mix of students and we all had a great time. After our first tile, we only had about 15 minutes left, so we did a quick Bijou tile to get one more pattern in. Can’t wait for next week!
Tile 1: Crescent Moon, Hollibaugh, Printemps, Florz
Tile 2 (Bijou) – Flux
Quick post today to share the tile I made for the Diva’s weekly challenge. This week she challenged us to use a striped string, but with whatever patterns we wanted. I’ve been having fun with Narwal, so I had to include that, and threw in ‘Nzeppel, which is the weekly tangle for the WZTV facebook group this week.
Fescu, Flez, ‘Nzeppel, Narwal, Hypnotize
This week Laura Harms, AKA ‘The Diva’, challenged us to use the tangle CanT by Chris Titus. This is a great pattern – very easy to follow and tons of variation possibilities. The circles in the centers of the grid reminded me of Well, so I included that as well.
On the Square One facebook groups the focus pattern this week was Opus. I went pretty straightforward with this one, but if you are on facebook, you should check some of the others – I was really amazed this week with some of the Opus tiles!
I also wrapped up the Zendala I am donating to the Prayers for Talan fundraiser. Here’s a pic of the finished piece (sorry for the reflection) as well as a close up of some of the detail. Please send along some healing thoughts for Talan and his family as he moves along his road to recovery.
Zendala for Prayers for Talan
Heart shaped Fengle, Flux, Fife